Old 22-01-2014, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Composting Query

?? wrote
A friend of mine has a turf farm and also cuts and supplies wood for wood
burning stoves etc, consequently he has aproximately a 10 ton piles of
grass clippings mixed with wood chips and sawdust, the wood is a mixtute of
both softwoods and hardwoods.

The pile has been there for well over a year now and has produced a lovely
thick black compost type material, with only a small amount of larger
blackened twigs/wood chips remaining.

Would this now be suitable to use as a multi purpose compost for my own
garden or would I need to add any extra nutrients to improve it ???

I only intend to use several wheel barrow loads.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Excellent stuff especially as a soil improver on clay type soils, the
wood/sawdust takes longer to rot down so keeps the soil friable for longer
IME. If you do have a clay soil then get as much as possible. Check the pH
afterwards though.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup