Old 24-01-2014, 03:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Did you know ...

Derald wrote:
songbird wrote:

ah, no thanks, i've got plenty of materials here
on hand already to recycle.

Shoot; and here I was thinking I might have fewer "treasures" to
walk around, move around.

shredded cardboard is one of the best mulches for worm
food. any time we go to a certain store we always scrounge
up free boxes. Ma uses quite a few of certain ones for
things she does. any scraps i shred and that eventually
ends up in the worm farm. within weeks it's gone. a few
box tops i use for drying veggie scraps or projects, after
a while they get beat up so they get shredded and get fed
to the worms. it is a nice system where pretty much
everything eventually gets used or recycled. i line the
box tops with newspapers so they don't get too gunky too
quickly.

today i finished up sorting through quite a few box tops
of garlic from last summer's harvest. the garlic i brought
in a few months ago was sprouting and some of it was starting
to ferment. quite nice smelling. the garlic i brought
in from the garage (where it has been repeatedly frozen and
thawed and generally ignored) is in much better condition.
that was purely accidental as i thought i had brought all of
it in. good thing. perhaps this weekend i'll see if it is
still in good enough condition to put some of it up to hold
us over the next few months. the bucket of garlic that will
get buried deeply this spring when the ground thaws is some
really stinky stuff. wonderful. i had to put it out in
the garage a few minute ago. the lid on that bucket didn't
fit as well as the one i used last night. didn't smell it
at all until i opened it back up today. a whole 5 gallon
bucket of garlic scraps, small heads and scapes. i took
most of the tunics, roots and stems off to use as worm food
as the worms seem to really love it. the roots especially.
i'll have a 5 gallon bucket of those scraps to run through
the wormies the next few weeks. i've never heard a worm
drool.

haha, guess i'm in a chatty mood tonight, but now i'm
tired and ready for a snooze. cold and windy tomorrow.
will hope y'all don't get too frozen by this blast. we
were planning on going out tomorrow, but i think i'll stick
close to home and enjoy a good fat book and this pile of
blankets here in the roost.

songbird