Old 24-01-2014, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Sad day for Guernsey

On 2014-01-24 11:40:57 +0000, Saxman said:

On 24/01/2014 10:39, Sacha wrote:
The island's tomato production has almost ground to a halt and it used
to be its lifeblood. Thank goodness for the finance industry and I never
thought I'd hear myself say that! Anthony Le Page who employs 15 workers
on his 2ha glasshouses in the Vale is closing down. The stretch of water
between England and the islands is one of the significant causes. About
50 years ago, the tomato growing employed more than half the island's
population.

Life doesn't stand still. One has to move with the times including
tomato growers.

Indeed but it's still sad. Another British industry hits the buffers
though this dwindling of that growing has been going on for years in
Guernsey. That doesn't mean it isn't a shame for the island and for
those of us who would like to buy British produce that actually tastes
of something.

Only the largest growers are surviving in The Netherlands too. One has set up
business in UK in Kent.

Dutch tomatoes taste of absolutely nothing. It makes me wonder how on
earth they go on selling!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com