Old 26-04-2003, 12:21 PM
Jim Webster

Default Farming in South Dakota

Dean Hoffman wrote in message
On 10/19/02 11:19 AM, in article

,
"Michelle Fulton" wrote:

"Jim Webster" wrote in message

Oz wrote in message
Plan?

PLAN?????!!!!

Are you mad?

They barely have a plan to win the next election.

Ten years ahead might just as well be mars.

actually, ask them for it and ten years ahead they will promise you
Mars.

For your vote in the next election they will promise you anything

you
damned well want,
provided you are willing to wait ten years for it.

That is the problem with politics, isn't it. So many are willing to

lie to
get your vote :-( Of course, democracy is the lesser of evils, but

it would
be nice if people were honest!

It's our own fault. The Libertarian Party in the U.S. would get

the
government out of social programs. They think people should succeed

or fail
on their own. Government should be limited to things like defense.

How
many of us vote for them? I saw this quote on another newsgroup.

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can
bribe the people with their own money."
-- Alexis de Tocquevile

There's another adage "Don't tax you. Don't tax me. Tax the man

behind the
tree".

Think how different farming would be if the government wasn't

involved.

Dean

the trouble is that unentangling government from farming in Europe is
going to take an awful long time. Americans don't realise just what we
had to do in Europe to win WW2, in American terms we all became
communists and politicians and civil servants got used to a command
economy. There has been a clawing back from the edge in places but our
big problem is not just the the obvious government controls but the less
obvious ones.
All the farm assurance rubbish that Oz was bewailing is actually led by
the Supermarkets. Walmart owns a UK supermarket chain, and in the UK it
will have its own farm assurance scheme that it expects people to jump
to.
It is going to take an awful lot to untangle it all.

--
Jim Webster

"The pasture of stupidity is unwholesome to mankind"

'Abd-ar-Rahman b. Muhammad b. Khaldun al-Hadrami'