Old 25-01-2014, 01:39 AM posted to rec.gardens
Fran Farmer Fran Farmer is offline

Default water repellant spoil

On 13/01/2014 11:06 AM, songbird wrote:
Fran Farmer wrote:

from what you wrote in the other response you have
a lot of fine dust. that would be tough to get
wetted again.

Yep, dust is it. And anything vegetative mixed into the soil or on top
of the soil is like it's been discovered in an ancient tomb so it's dry
to the point of total desiccation.

i'd still make sure there was mulch on top and then
make sure to spray that mulch (not putting water through
it) so that it can slowly drip down on the soil below.
from your description you say the water goes right
through the mulch and runs off the soil. to me that
says you are using too much water and pouring it
through the mulch. instead, use a fine mist to keep
wetting the mulch. spray it several times a day.

Tried both of those in the past with the exception of the 'several times
a day' - it's morning and/or evening only in our summer conditions and
even then unless it's overcast and there is no wind, microsprays are a
very 'iffy' use of water - almost always a waste of time and for some
reason mulch just adds to the problem when it's already dry under the
mulch. I don't really understand why the mulch doesn't help but it
doesn't until the soil is moist and then it can do it's traditional soil
protecting job.

We seem to be getting there slowly but progress is not fast. Mud pies
making still seem to be the most effective method with the most
threatened smaller plants but I am worried about some of the trees.