Old 24-01-2014, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Cotinus coggyria dieback

On 24/01/2014 19:22, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Nick Maclaren wrote:

A couple of the pictures I posted show clearly that the cause of the
leaf whitening is that the branches are dying round much of their
circumference. Phytophthora, it may be well be - but whatever it is,
it seems to be primarily a branch effect.

Sorry about following up to myself. I have just done a few searches,
and get some near-match on Verticillium, but one thing that really
baffles me is the leaf bleaching. The other is just HOW patchy it
is - those leaf pictures were a single branch.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

When my tree was affected the local tree surgeon said it was
Phytophthora, but I confess there are elements of Verticillium, too.
It's my bedtime now, so too late to look up verticillium images.
I'm still inclined to blame the very wet winters we've all had, and that
seems to be how Phytophthora works, as I understand it, but I don't rule
out Verticillium now that you come to mention it. More research is
required ... or another urgler.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London