Old 26-01-2014, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
indigo indigo is offline

Default Roses

"sacha" wrote
On 2014-01-26 10:06:17 +0000, Pam Moore said:
i have a lovely new bud on my ageing Zephirine Drouhin! It's the only
rose I grow as I can't cope with anything thorny. GQT were very rude
about it last week but mine is still flowering after 25 years.

Pam in Bristol

I think it's a lovely rose! One of my major favourites for scent is
Mde Isaac Pereire, though that is thorny and unfortunately, not
remontant. But the perfume is a knock out.

I have a shrub rose called Fragrant Delight and noticed last week that
it's got one bud about halfway open and another now just showing colour.

A climber 'Kathleen Harrop' growing on an arch, is still in winter mode
and no hopeful buds yet, but I suppose it is in a little more exposed
position. That one is a paler pink sport of Zephirine Drouhin but still
has its parent's good points of no thorns and lovely scent. The only
problem I have with it is blackspot, to which poor Kathleen is regularly
a martyr. I keep threatening to replace her with a younger model who
won't need so much spraying and attention, but relent every year when
she flowers.

--
Sue