Old 26-01-2014, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Roses

"Indigo" wrote in message
o.uk...

"sacha" wrote
On 2014-01-26 10:06:17 +0000, Pam Moore said:
i have a lovely new bud on my ageing Zephirine Drouhin! It's the only
rose I grow as I can't cope with anything thorny. GQT were very rude
about it last week but mine is still flowering after 25 years.

Pam in Bristol

I think it's a lovely rose! One of my major favourites for scent is
Mde Isaac Pereire, though that is thorny and unfortunately, not
remontant. But the perfume is a knock out.

I have a shrub rose called Fragrant Delight and noticed last week that
it's got one bud about halfway open and another now just showing colour.

A climber 'Kathleen Harrop' growing on an arch, is still in winter mode
and no hopeful buds yet, but I suppose it is in a little more exposed
position. That one is a paler pink sport of Zephirine Drouhin but still
has its parent's good points of no thorns and lovely scent. The only
problem I have with it is blackspot, to which poor Kathleen is regularly
a martyr. I keep threatening to replace her with a younger model who
won't need so much spraying and attention, but relent every year when
she flowers.

--
Sue

Sue we had a circular bed of Roses in the front of our house in Leicester
and it was full of Fragrant Cloud Roses, under planted with hundreds of
bulbs. As it was out on the pavement separating our drive in/drive out drive
way, we had many admiring them and were asked time and time again what they
were. We had to make a sign labelling them!!

Fragrant Cloud, a deep red rose with an outstanding perfume. Are they still
about? We got them from Blaby Rose Gardens, long since gone :-(

Mike

www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk
www.hmscollingwoodassociation.com
www.rneba.org.uk