Old 27-01-2014, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Iralian cyprus

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
Does anyone grow an Italian Cyprus (cupressus sempervirens)?
I had one once, grown from seed, but at about 18 inches. It was moved
by a gardener friend and it didn't survive. Nor did he!
You may remember I was asking last year about what to plant to hide
the lamp-post which has been put up outside my garden.
A friend has offered me a eucalyptus, which is about 10 feet tall and
in a pot, so would be ideal. I had one there before, and a year before
they put in the post, I cut it back, hoping for regrowth.... but it
died!
However I saw a cyprus in a catalogue. advertised as sold at about 3
feet high, and wondered a) how long would it get to 6 ft fence height
and above, and b) would it be hardy?
Sorry,----- long winded!

Pam in Bristol

Do be careful if you accept the "Gift Horse" of the Eucalyptus as they often
become unstable in wind unless planted as very young small plants, you would
certainly need heavy duty staking above what may appear enough!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs