Old 27-01-2014, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
indigo indigo is offline

Default Roses

"Sacha" wrote
On 2014-01-26 15:58:26 +0000, Indigo said:
I have a shrub rose called Fragrant Delight and noticed last week
that it's got one bud about halfway open and another now just showing
colour.

A climber 'Kathleen Harrop' growing on an arch, is still in winter
mode and no hopeful buds yet, but I suppose it is in a little more
exposed position. That one is a paler pink sport of Zephirine Drouhin
but still has its parent's good points of no thorns and lovely scent.
The only problem I have with it is blackspot, to which poor Kathleen
is regularly a martyr. I keep threatening to replace her with a
younger model who won't need so much spraying and attention, but
relent every year when she flowers.

We have a rose a bit like that in the back courtyard. It's a measly
specimen but struggles on each year, producing 4 flowers, if we're
lucky! I haven't the heart to pull it out because it fights against
all the odds!

Know what you mean. Mine's a good flowerer, luckily, and does look a
picture when in full rig. If it hadn't been, it would have been easier
to start again with a different, healthier plant, but I do wish I didn't
have to resort to spraying to keep it clean and in leaf all summer! Ah
well.. the ups and downs of gardening.

Roll on Spring. I found I'd got an Anemone de Caen with two open blooms
the other day.
--
Sue