Old 27-01-2014, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Bonfire ash a soggy mess

On 27/01/2014 15:13, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Spider wrote:
On 26/01/2014 17:18, Roger Tonkin wrote:
In article ,
says...
I put ash
from my woodburner, teabags, eggshells, veg peelings,chicken muck on my heap
and after a year into my veg patch.
Seems to work Ok

So do I, except for the egg shells. I've found that
even after 2 years, they do not seem to rot and are
still identifyable.

I do. And bones, and seafood shells. The only ones that are nearly
immortal are oyster shells.

I don't compost egg shells, either. Apart from their tendency to
persist rather than break down, I worry it would make the compost too
alkaline for use with acid-loving plants.

It doesn't!

Good to know. Thanks, Nick.

Egg shells are probably better kept to use crushed around the base of
Clematis, providing snail protection as well as increasing alkalinity.

A reasonable use for them, though I don't bother.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

--
Spider.