Old 28-01-2014, 02:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default The season has started.

Billy wrote:
I'm not sure what's on our squirrels menu, but with 70 F days they are
acting as if it were spring, when a young squirrels fancy turns to,
well, you know. We are on the side of a hill, with our bedroom window
looking int the canopy of an oak forest. Seems there is always a
squirrel in pursuit of another squirrel, ah, to be young again.

the same squirrel was back the next day
going after those berries again. no running
around with the others yet, i think it is still
survival times, and hard pressed with this
cold being so prolonged and the snows being
fairly deep.

Sadly our library doesn't have the Firefox book on distilling. If you
can make booze, everything else will flow to you.

or you will be so pickled you won't care.

Some of the herbs are pushing already. THe "mothers wort" is up. I
wouldn't be surprised to see bud break on the grape vines in February.
There are still a lot of unpruned vineyards waiting for the shears.

The big news is that there is a 50% chance of showers on thur. Keeping
my fingers crossed. I'd like one more garden from here. I think by Fall
we will have moved on.

hope the rains come through for you there.

any plants you'll take with you as favorites
or are things generally native and best left
alone?

You heard of grafted tomatoes?

.... yeah, we'll see what they do, perhaps
they'll endrun the GMO debate and then
become popular and common enough to be
cost effective. i suspect anything that
does not get the beefsteak type name Ma
will ignore. she's kinda stuck on them.
i should have a good population of feral
tomato plants next year. we'll see what
happens. that's pretty much going to be
my motto for the next 30-40 yrs.

TIme to go toes up now. Gotta get up early. I don't quite understand it,
but when we should be winding down the lab work, I find myself doing 40
hour weeks. What's up with that?

you've become useful and dependable. poor sod.

cheers and happy snoozing,

songbird