Old 29-01-2014, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Vitamin C rooting magic

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 01:21:03 -0800 (PST), Shudderdun
wrote:

I was watching a Youtube tutorial some time ago and the guy was using honey as rooting compound, I think it was on Geranium cuttings.

I have never bothered doing Geraniums before, so thought I would give it a go. I did two with rooting powder and two with honey, only one took and that was one of the I ones I did with honey, may have just been luck or my bad skills for not getting the other three to take.

Can any one shed more light on using honey as rooting compound ???????

If there is any foundation in this theory and being a beekeeper myself I was wondering if raw honey would work best, i.e. has not had all the goodness filtered out of it.

Thanks.

My immediate thoughts are that a) honey might attract ants and b)
geraniums are very easy to root with no treatment at all.
Does anyone know what rooting hormone powder or liquid is composed of?

Pam in Bristol