Old 29-01-2014, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Another John Another John is offline

Default hedge maintenance

In article ,
"Peter & Jeanne" wrote:

Yup - it was just the way you presented the link -- http should be start
letters
to tell our machines it is a link - none of this img stuff works - lol

I wonder if Stuart may have HTML encoding set as the "style" for typing
stuff. (A long time ago, Microsoft used to be *******s for setting this
as the default in their software.)

No problem copying and pasting the link though Stuart so no worries.

re the hedge: privet is wonderful as a hedge: cherish it!
Pete's suggestion was to
Chop the whole down to Three /Four ins of the ground and you will
eventually end up with a proper hedge again at a growth in
height rate of about 24 ins per annum.

There are lots of temporary barrier systems that you use over the next year
or so to create a temporary boundary whilst the privet regrows.

That's not a bad idea, though my own experience of privet is that in NO
way does it grow at 24" p.a.!! (maybe depends on variety).

Personally however I'd NEVER, EVER chop a hedge right down! I'd do what
you yourself, and others, have suggested: work at it gradually over the
next year or so: the top will grow at least a foot this year (so you can
cut the top off by a foot now), and nurture the sides by firm-but-fair
pruning.

Also "they" say that a hedge ought to slope inwards towards the top (in
cross-section), so that light gets equally to the bottom as it does to
the tops.

Hedges are fab! (though bloody hard work twice a year, if you have as
many as I do.)

2p
John