Old 30-01-2014, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance[_3_] David Rance[_3_] is offline

Default hedge maintenance

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 stuart noble wrote:

Anyone got any suggestions?

http://i59.tinypic.com/vdegpw.jpg

The hedge had been allowed to get out of hand for a few years by the
previous owners, so we have reduced height by a foot, and are wondering
whether to thin it out a little in the Spring. Maybe those bare stalks
will sprout leaves if the top is kept trimmed?
Any advice appreciated

I have a privet hedge which, over the years, I had allowed to grow to
about nine foot high. Four years ago I decided that I didn't
particularly want the privacy this offered as I have plenty of taller
shrubs behind it so I cut it down to three foot with the intention of
allowing it to grow to about five foot which is much more manageable.

http://rance.org.uk/hedge.jpg

I inherited this hedge about thirty years ago but it was originally
planted back in the 1930s. Some of it loses its leaves in the winter and
some doesn't, which is why it looks a bit thin in places now (I took the
photo this morning) but in the summer it is very thick and neat - and
much easier to trim!

David