Old 31-01-2014, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default hedge maintenance

and all the OP wanted was a bit of advice on his hedge.

Mike

www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk
www.hmscollingwoodassociation.com
www.rneba.org.uk
www.nsrafa.org

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message ...

In article ,
News wrote:
On 30/01/2014 13:24, stuart noble wrote:

Out of interest, and while we're on the subject of who sees what, why is
your reply not showing up in my reply unless I copy and paste it?

Because he has got the sig separator in the message, rather than down
the bottom above a sig.

I've removed the space that follows the 2 hyphens, so it will now
appear. Many news readers will cut off anything after a properly
configured sig separator (2 hyphens followed by a space) - in order to
not quote the sig. If you have that combination above text you want, it
won't be quoted.

That utter stupidity was sneaked into an RFC on something else by
a loonie with a bee in his bonnet and very little knowledge of the
wider world of Email, and has never been more than patchily accepted
by the Internet community. Inter alia, trailing spaces in Email have
never been specified to be either preserved or not inserted.

While it has the effect you describe with SOME mailers, it doesn't
with others, and there are other such aberrations used by other
mailers that are intended to have the same effect and which work
even less well. It's total lunacy.

Just as the text below won't be quoted

--
regards
andy

Oh, yeah? And I am using the descendent of the de facto canonical
Unix newsreader and mailer (which is used for transport, for the
non-geeks out there).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.