Old 01-02-2014, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Clematis Fusca Var. Violacea

On 2014-02-01 09:35:44 +0000, Charlie Pridham said:

"sacha" wrote in message
Charlie, or anyone who knows it, can we grow this here? It's terribly
pretty, imo. If so, do you have it?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

It needs/likes a continental climate best but will grow in our milder
soggy climate with attention to slug control, grow it with a bare soil
area around (i.e. no ground cover) During winter this Clematis will die
back to ground level, so in early spring (now!) start with liquid slug
killer every 2-3 weeks on dry days (ha ha!!) until the shoots are well
above ground, after that it is just like any other Clematis. You may
get lucky and find a place that it comes back on its own but I have
found that the slugs eat the dormant buds below soil level during
winter and without help it dies out sooner or later.

Not a great prospect then! I can't find a supplier either, and that may
well be the reason!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com