Old 01-02-2014, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Clematis Fusca Var. Violacea

On 2014-02-01 09:35:44 +0000, Charlie Pridham said:

"sacha" wrote in message
Charlie, or anyone who knows it, can we grow this here? It's terribly
pretty, imo. If so, do you have it?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

It needs/likes a continental climate best but will grow in our milder
soggy climate with attention to slug control, grow it with a bare soil
area around (i.e. no ground cover) During winter this Clematis will die
back to ground level, so in early spring (now!) start with liquid slug
killer every 2-3 weeks on dry days (ha ha!!) until the shoots are well
above ground, after that it is just like any other Clematis. You may
get lucky and find a place that it comes back on its own but I have
found that the slugs eat the dormant buds below soil level during
winter and without help it dies out sooner or later.

Tsk! Pressed 'send' too quickly! Thank you, Charlie! Are you and Liz
coming up this way any time soon?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com