Old 01-02-2014, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Clematis Fusca Var. Violacea

On 01/02/2014 09:35, Charlie Pridham wrote:

"sacha" wrote in message
Charlie, or anyone who knows it, can we grow this here? It's terribly
pretty, imo. If so, do you have it?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

It needs/likes a continental climate best but will grow in our milder
soggy climate with attention to slug control, grow it with a bare soil
area around (i.e. no ground cover) During winter this Clematis will die
back to ground level, so in early spring (now!) start with liquid slug
killer every 2-3 weeks on dry days (ha ha!!) until the shoots are well
above ground, after that it is just like any other Clematis. You may get
lucky and find a place that it comes back on its own but I have found
that the slugs eat the dormant buds below soil level during winter and
without help it dies out sooner or later.

Charlie, have you thought about a light sprinkling of Metaldehyde around
the plants?
This wont break down quickly and is deadly to slugs and snails.
David @ a yet again rain blasted side of Swansea Bay