Old 01-02-2014, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Yet more rain

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message ...

On 01/02/14 12:49, stuart noble wrote:
On 01/02/2014 11:07, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 01/02/14 11:00, Sacha wrote:
Spoke too soon - the wind is stronger and great gouts of rain keep
smashing against the windows. Then blue skies emerge again for a few
minutes before it all goes black again.

Speaking too soon can partly be avoided by looking at the
live rainfall radar maps. They give a useful indication of
what's coming your way, and when. I first used them
usefully a few years ago, to tell people on my roof that
they had an hour to finish the roof before the rain/sleet
came. They didn't believe me, and were surprised when I
was right to within a few minutes.

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/
is convenient.

I already know whether it rained this morning thanks very much, and it
doesn't tell you how much they charge for this afternoon's predictions

Indeed, just so. But it seems I didn't make
my point clearly enough...

All I do is look at where the rain has been over
the past two hours, and then mentally "project"
where it will be in the next couple of hours.

No need to pay

Exactly what we do. Had an errand to do. It was raining. Looked at the rain
radar. 'Be finished within the next half hour, then a couple of hours
clear', so finish a cuppa then go out.

Everything done, back home, in the dry, settled down and the skies opened.

It's not that you can look out of the window and see that it's raining, it's
seeing what's coming and assessing how long it will be and how long it will
last.

I showed it to a neighbour builder. He hadn't seen it. "Thanks Mike, very
useful'

Mike

www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk
www.hmscollingwoodassociation.com