Old 04-02-2014, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Flumoxed

"David Hill" wrote in message
On 03/02/2014 22:37, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
On 03/02/2014 15:53, David Hill wrote:
I went outside just now and spooked a couple of birds that were on the
track on the other side of the car.
They got up and flew off low and making a metallic squawking alarm cry.
They were dark grey and on one there was a deep red tail. My first
thought was African grey parrots but the grey was slate Gray.
Anyone got any ideas.
David @ a very windy side of Swansea bay

Conventional wisdom is that odd looking birds unidentified by the
reporter are often jays.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p007yg5m

But apart from the sound, your description doesn't seem very jay-like.

We have several Jays feeding and it wasn't one of them. and before anyone
says anything it wasn't a greater spotted woodpecker either.

You have me stumped, I can't find any reference to African grays being on
the loose, but at least they have the red tail, but nothing that is supposed
to be here fits, only one not already suggested that comes close is the
Hobby, or perhaps the Corncrake with its trailing red legs ?

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs