Old 05-02-2014, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tree/shrub questions

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

Many years ago, I planted a Philadelphus "Belle Etoile" but did
not realise that it would not grow above 4-5 feet. So:

What are the chances of me moving one with a basal width of a
few inches? Yes, I know how, but not what the chances are.

Can anyone think of a good small tree or shrub that will grow
in an upright fashion (critical) to 10-20' - or can be pruned
to be no higher than 10' and to avoid spreading sideways too
much (as I do with Abelia and Berberis vulgaris) - and preferably
is a good show of white in the spring for a reasonable period?

Prunus 'Amanogowa'?

I have a Prunus 'Spire' that after 25 years is beginning to spread a
little, and is under 15 feet in height.

Thanks very much.

Rather too pink and not quite big enough, I am afraid, plus any
flowering cherry might fall foul of She Who Must Be Obeyed :-)
We are surrounded by ones with synthetic strawberry ice cream
colouring, and that rather taints her view (and, to some extent,
mine)!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.