Old 05-02-2014, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Tree/shrub questions

On 05/02/2014 15:18, Spider wrote:
On 05/02/2014 13:35, Nick Maclaren wrote:
Many years ago, I planted a Philadelphus "Belle Etoile" but did
not realise that it would not grow above 4-5 feet. So:

What are the chances of me moving one with a basal width of a
few inches? Yes, I know how, but not what the chances are.

Can anyone think of a good small tree or shrub that will grow
in an upright fashion (critical) to 10-20' - or can be pruned
to be no higher than 10' and to avoid spreading sideways too
much (as I do with Abelia and Berberis vulgaris) - and preferably
is a good show of white in the spring for a reasonable period?

I have found plausible hits with some Viburnum, Philadelphus
(but is replanting OK for them?), Dipelta, Amelanchier and
Exochorda, but the main problem is getting one that is reliably
upright. Buddleia and Syringa are fallback only.

Also, can Amelanchier lamarkii be pruned to keep it that small?
The RHS says "no", but that's not always true.

And why on earth are fragrant woody plants always so much less
fragrant in my garden than elsewhere? No, don't bother with that;
it's just one of Life's Great Mysteries.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Hi Nick,

So far I've only come up with forms of Prunus:-

http://www.frankpmatthews.com/prunus...le-cherry).htm

http://www.frankpmatthews.com/prunus-snow-goose.htm

I also thought of P. spinosus, which may be a little too broad but,
being a potential hedging plant, it wouldn't sulk if you took a branch
out occasionally. It's also early flowering, so very helpful to bees
and other insects at a difficult time of year, if that's important to you.

Sorry to follow my own message, but I forgot to comment on the chances
of moving your Philadelphus 'Belle Etoile'.

I moved a Phil (Silver showers) many years ago and found it very
stubborn to shift. The roots establish well and are deep. I am a lady
spider, so I would expect to have more trouble than you, but I was young
and fit then. If you don't want it where it is, you *will* be able to
uproot it, but it may sulk if you replant it. Mine wasn't fit for
replanting. Other struggles may vary.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London