Old 05-02-2014, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tree/shrub questions

In article ,
sacha wrote:

Can anyone think of a good small tree or shrub that will grow
in an upright fashion (critical) to 10-20' - or can be pruned
to be no higher than 10' and to avoid spreading sideways too
much (as I do with Abelia and Berberis vulgaris) - and preferably

Would any of the Hoherias do for you or in your temperatures, I wonder?
H. sexstylosa Stardus might be worth a look. Or a white Buddleia? I
was thinking, too, of a Betula jacquemontii - no flowers, of course but
wonderful, elegant, white bark that positively glows in twilight. The
other, which can be clipped, and seems to flower on and off all year
here is Myrtus communis but whether it would take your winters, I don't
know.

Thanks very much, but probably not. It's in rather an exposed
position, and Hoheria and Myrtis would need a wall. I am not
keen on a Buddleia because they get tatty very quickly, but one
would certainly meet the requirement! I hadn't thought of a
birch, but will do so - cautiously!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.