Old 05-02-2014, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tree/shrub questions

On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 15:57:10 +0000, Nick Maclaren wrote:

I moved a Phil (Silver showers) many years ago and found it very
stubborn to shift. The roots establish well and are deep. I am a lady
spider, so I would expect to have more trouble than you, but I was young
and fit then. If you don't want it where it is, you *will* be able to
uproot it,
but it may sulk if you replant it. Mine wasn't fit for replanting.
Other struggles may vary.

Thanks :-( I may leave it until after flowering and just get rid of it.
I like it, but it's never been a total success.

Hi Nick,

I did move an unnamed Philadelphus, around 20 years ago. It wasn't that
small at the time, and although it did sulk for a year it settled in and
did fine. In fact it's outgrown the spot a little; but it is fabulous
when it flowers.

As for another small tree, how about one of the small snake bark maples?
A x conspicuum 'Silver Vein' is one of the best: very well striped white/
green bark, showy flowers, green with yellow centres in umbels, shiny
young leaves, reliable bright yellow fall colour. I don't think it would
outgrow 20 ft. Others I'd suggest would be A. micranthum 'Candlabrum',
which has small and very pretty leaves, great red/orange fall colour,
bright green striped bark; also A. tegmentosum which has light, white
bloomed bark, and nice broad trilobed leaves with acuminate tips and
yellow/orange fall colour. Tegmentosum does need a little shade, though.

cheers,

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy