Old 06-02-2014, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tree/shrub questions

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

I am not sure if the original plant is still at Nymans, but there are a
number of fairly large Eucryphias there. They must have survived some
cold winters, and, as far as I remember, they are not in the walled
garden. True, Sussex isn't Cambridgeshire, but it can get cold. I
guess that Nick could always take a stroll over to the Cambridge Botanic
Gardens to see if there is anything growing there which takes his fancy.

Thanks for the reminder! I tend to not go that often, since they
started regarding people like me as an easy income stream, which
made popping over for a quick half-hour every now and then an
expensive proposition. But it would be a good time of a good year
to check up on hardy, early-flowering shrubs!

Is it worth you joining the Friends (£32 for an annual membership equals
pass)?

Financially, no. My work has been moved a long way away from it
(and it used to be a 15 minute walk), and it's a beggar to get to.
There used to be free entrance for all members of the University,
and I was one of the many people ****ed off when the decision was
taken to regard us as purely an easy source of income - and, yes,
that WAS the reason to offer no discount even on FUCBG membership.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.