Old 06-02-2014, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tree/shrub questions

On 06/02/2014 17:36, Janet wrote:
In article , lid
Could be a bit chilly for Eucryphia?

I believe that they may well be a lot hardier than often thought, in
particular Eucryphia x nymansensis ?Nymansay?:
http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~gdk/sta.../septpom02.htm

I am not sure if the original plant is still at Nymans, but there are a
number of fairly large Eucryphias there. They must have survived some
cold winters, and, as far as I remember, they are not in the walled
garden. True, Sussex isn't Cambridgeshire, but it can get cold. I
guess that Nick could always take a stroll over to the Cambridge Botanic
Gardens to see if there is anything growing there which takes his fancy.

Cambridge has hotter summers and colder winters than St Andrews.

Janet

It has hotter summers, but the average winter )temperatures (in Nov,
Dec, Jan, and Feb) for St Andrews (actually Leuchars) are lower than
Cambridge. However, the record lows are lower, and the record highs
higher for Cambridge. But overall there's not a lot in it.

See tables at:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambridge#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_And...er_and_climate

--