Old 26-04-2003, 12:22 PM
Dave Chalton

Default Vegans, facts, ranting, bigotry and other related subjects....

Okay then, just spent some considerable time wading through a whole
thread on vegan/vegetarianism vs "meat-eating", and the first point
that springs to mind is along the lines of "why?". As has been said
elswhere in that thread, people have varied views and opinions, and
no-one else can state that they are more or less valid.
Personally, I haven't spend years researching this or that aspect of
diet-constituents, but, and this may be regarded as a cliche - it
matters not - but it is reasonable (as far as I know :-P) that the
majority of so-called health experts agree that a balanced diet,
including, but not limited to, fresh veg., meat (both red and white),
fish, dairy products and carbohydrates (both simple and complex).
Combined with any specific mineral or vitamen supplements that may be
required in higher concentrations than present in this balanced diet
(especially for specific conditions or physiological states eg folic
acid supplements etc.) should be adequate for any human being on this
planet.
It could be suggested (but I personally have no direct proof of this,
so don't expect me to provide it) that modern economic and
sociological environments have created the facility to be able to
choose to exclude certain food groups from the diet. The incidence of
certain intolerances to dietary constituents is also less in countries
where such conditions place the individual at increased risk of
death/injury. In the "more advanced" Western cultures, alternatives
are available, in the form of vitamin and other supplements.
More views to come when I have more time to post again