Old 08-02-2014, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Let it be Let it be is offline

Default New neighbours

Christina Websell wrote:
Well, they seemed Ok but they have reduced my conifers to lollipops
and hacked my damson trees. Without asking
FGS. We both have 150 yard long gardens and why it's necessary to
get so territorial I don't know.

They can legally trim your trees to the fence-line without your permission
and they have to hand (or offer) the cuttings back to you - and if the
situation was anything like my neighbours trees they were a damned nuisance.

The trees were overhanging the garden causing damage to a shed roof and
fence, created a heavy shade in a part of the garden that I was trying to
cultivate and the roots of his silver birch were causing damage to a patio
and lawn - as luck happened, he wasn't to bothered about me trimming them
back and disposing of the cuttings (including the large birch branch that
had damaged the shed).

Towards the end of last year though, all the major problems were resolved
as he employed a tree-surgeon to cut the birch down and kill the stump
because of the damage it was causing to my property and other neighbouring
ones.

I might just mention now how annoying their dog is, barking all day
up at the window through to my house but I had hoped not to have to
say keep your dog in the back of the house. Now I might.

You are legally entitled to report the dog nuisance to the Environmental
Health Department of your Local Authority.

My advice is to do as I did, keep things friendly and calm whilst explaining
your concerns to your new neighbour about the tree trimming and ask if their
was a particular reason for doing so - as a matter of interest, what was the
height and spread of your trees?