Old 08-02-2014, 11:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hydrangea paniculata

On Fri, 07 Feb 2014 22:46:48 +0000, Charlie Pridham wrote:

Sorry - I should have said "not scented", which rules out a lot.
There is also Holodiscus discolor, which is possible.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I have this last, which we bought after reading about it, wish I had
seen it first, I am totally underwhelmed by it. perhaps elsewhere its
lovely but here its mundane, only the fact its not a bad clematis
climbing frame stops me from digging it out.

Yes, the Holodiscus is a curious shrub. Firstly it is large and spreads,
not exactly thuglike, but aggressive. Secondly, although it is pretty in
flower, following this the innumerable dead flowers hang about, rendering
the thing an eyesore from July to the following spring. I suppose they
might be cut off, but there are so many and who has time?

Summer visitors usually look at it with an "Ugh, what's that" sort of
reaction.

cheers,

-E

--