Old 09-02-2014, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default New neighbours

"Janet" wrote in message
t...

In article ,
says...

On 2014-02-09 09:55:46 +0000, Nick Maclaren said:

In article ,
Peter & Jeanne wrote:

Regardless of all these legal factors Christina has my every sympathy
especially over the Damson trees.
One can only hope that the neighbours did not realise the species of
tree
being chopped
and are a damson lovers themselves and will allow the trees to regrow
and
that all other matters
of concern to you can be resolved amicably.

Well, yes, but actually damsons are pretty resilient to being cut
back, and can even be cut down to the ground and regrown (if not
grafted or not cut below that). I let mine get out of hand, and
have taken 50% out of one and am taking 30% out of the other for
a few years. I agree that crude hacking at the wrong time of
year does increase the chances of disease.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Their approach is pretty heavy-handed, however. It would have been
neighbourly and polite to talk to Christina first.

Except, that 2 years ago urg saw a previous ugly history of
Christina's tree-wars with adjoining neighbours. Tina's trees caused
damage to their property, their insurers required the trees to be felled
but C posted how she stubbornly "held out" against the request, delayed,
refused to answer the door or phone to discuss it etc and "hated" the
neighbours. Imagine what that was like for people desperately worried
about their home.

If these are the same neighbours, no doubt they learnt a lesson on
what response to expect this time if they asked permission to touch her
trees. If they are new neighbours, they will know all about the
previous conflict over trees because nowadays such insurance claims and
conflicts with neighbours have to be flagged up by vendors to new
owners. Either way, with such a past history it's not surprising next
door did not involve her in any discussion but just went ahead and did
what the law allows.

Janet.

Oh Dear Janet.

You will come in for some flak now, just you watch!!!

Who will be the first to start the affray? It's the sort of thing urglers
love!

Mike

www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk
www.hmscollingwoodassociation.com