Old 26-04-2003, 12:22 PM
Jim Webster

Default Vegans, facts, ranting, bigotry and other related subjects....

Stacey Jennings wrote in message
m...
Another twist to my situation is in my field as an Environmental
Student. Being in the area that you are in you should identify with
some of the points I am about to raise. Recently I took a
Sustainablity class as an elective for my Master's Degree. My papers
for this class focused on Industrial agriculture vs sustainable
agriculture. No one would argue that agriculture is the number one
consumer of the fresh water resources and contributes siginificanlty
to water pollution and the like.

this depends entirely on what part of the world you live in, it might be
true in the US but is not necessarily true in more industrialised or
intensively inhabited countries.

But people must eat but isn't it in
the best interest of all, not just the countries that have abundance
of water resources etc(if you can find one) to find the most efficient
means of doing this. Then to add in livestock production. It was
somewhat astonishing to sit down and go through article after article
of the extra resources that must be used to support a diet that is
meat based compared to that of a vegetarian. To see how many more
people can be fed with the grain and water used to raise just one cow.

which is fine, except did you read any of the articles that point out
the areas where you can grow beef but not cereals?
Also did you read any of the articles which showed you that in much of
the world the grain used is not suitable for human consumption. You
would not enjoy bread made from feed wheat.

--
Jim Webster

"The pasture of stupidity is unwholesome to mankind"

'Abd-ar-Rahman b. Muhammad b. Khaldun al-Hadrami'