Old 09-02-2014, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bert bert is offline

Default New neighbours

In message , Bob Hobden
writes
"Christina Websell" wrote

"Sacha" wrote
, Bob Hobden said:

"Christina Websell" wrote

Well, they seemed Ok but they have reduced my conifers to
lollipops and hacked my damson trees. Without asking
FGS. We both have 150 yard long gardens and why it's necessary to
get so territorial I don't know.

I might just mention now how annoying their dog is, barking all
day up at the window through to my house but I had hoped not to
have to say keep your dog in the back of the house. Now I might.
If they have just cut your trees back on their side of the dividing
fence then that is their right, I do the same to the end of my
neighbours Leylandii hedge as I don't want it overhanging my garden.
However if they have damaged your trees on your side of the fence
without asking and getting your permission then that is wrong and
they should be told so. Of course they could have cut back the
trees so they could erect a fence to keep their dog in but it would
have been neighbourly to tell you first.

Keep a diary of the dog's noise but firstly, do try the softly
softly approach.

I will do both. I will try hard not to say "you got a saw to my damson
trees and now you have ruined them"
FG sake, we have a 150 yd long garden and its never been a problem if
someone tree sticks out over it a few inches or feet.

I understand what you are saying but some people have a problem with
trees overhanging into their space.
I had one new neighbour and the very first thing she said to me when I
tried to introduce myself was, "So it's your tree overhanging my
garden, get it cut back", no please or nice to meet you or anything.
Yet another moved into a mature garden with fruit trees and
ornamentals, OK they needed some pruning, and the first and only thing
they did in the garden was cut everything off at ground level,
literally. 6 months later then set fire to it all in the middle of the
lawn and it stayed like that until they moved on.

We had new neighbours bit like that. They had 2 trees on the large front
garden been there 35 years and were actually covered by covenants but
they cut one off at ground level. We managed to save the other one.
First time in 35 years we have conflict with a neighbour, fortunately
not next door but opposite.
--
bert