Old 10-02-2014, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default little conifer

On 10/02/2014 17:18, David Hill wrote:
On 10/02/2014 16:59, Spider wrote:
On 08/02/2014 17:33, lol wrote:
OK its a little conifer in a front garden
ftp://www.ldwilmer.pwp.blueyonder.co...dments/fir.jpg
Question is how do we go about identifying it?
These things all look the same to me, want to know how big its going
to grow
and if we can safely leave it

Many thanks,
Lol

I can't name it off the top of my head, but my immediate neighbour had
one exactly like that. It eventually grew until it was interfering with
the telephone cables. It had to be removed.

If you decide to get rid of yours, make sure there isn't a TPO (Tree
Preservation Order) on it, or you could be fined for chopping it down
without permission.

It annoys me when you see packs of 6 "Miniature" conifers all about 8 to
9 inches tall, but all of which will grow to 10 to 20 ft in the next 10
years.

I know exactly what you mean, David, it drives me mad, too.
Of course, they're meant to be used for 'bedding statement' planting,
but when they grow past that usage, gardeners put them in their borders
without appreciating the consequences. These mini conifers should at
least be labeled so gardeners can research the ultimate height before
choosing to plant.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London