Old 11-02-2014, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bert bert is offline

Default New neighbours

In message , sacha
writes

On 2014-02-11 02:14:16 +0000, Christina Websell said:

"bert" ] wrote in message

I understand what you are saying but some people have a problem
with trees overhanging into their space.
I had one new neighbour and the very first thing she said to me
when I tried to introduce myself was, "So it's your tree
overhanging my garden, get it cut back", no please or nice to
meet you or anything. Yet another moved into a mature garden with
fruit trees and ornamentals, OK they needed some pruning, and the
first and only thing they did in the garden was cut everything
off at ground level, literally. 6 months later then set fire to
it all in the middle of the lawn and it stayed like that until they moved on.
We had new neighbours bit like that. They had 2 trees on the large
front garden been there 35 years and were actually covered by
covenants but they cut one off at ground level. We managed to save
the other one. First time in 35 years we have conflict with a
neighbour, fortunately not next door but opposite.
--
bert
There is no reason to do it, we have 450 ft gardens. and a branch
or two has never mattered.
But their dog barks far too much, they leave it and its up at the
window barking, and I've been good about it until now as it barks
through my wall all ferking day.
And if they take the backs of my fruit trees out again without
consulting me I will object to their dog. which I don't want to do.
I love dogs. It's left alone far too much and is up at the window
looking for them and barking, which drives me mad.
You'll have to record it, Christina. I had a nutcase of an
opposite neighbour who used to shut her dogs outside at 4am and
leave them there to bark endlessly. She did this - and many other
things - deliberately to annoy her neighbours. I and others
contacted the RSPCA who 'had a word' and that put a stop to it. Dogs
are not animals happy left alone for long periods of time and this
one is making that obvious! You may need to get a special recording
machine from the Environmental people or your council because (iirc)
they have timers which show how long the dog barks for and at what time.
--
Sacha

But she could (as she loves dogs) offer to have it during the day
which would make the dog happy! trouble with the official route is
whilst you may have right on your side and get the nuisance stopped
you are still living next door to the neighbours.

Oh certainly, a word with the neighbours is definitely the first and
best course. Yes, I'd offer to walk it during the day or something of
that sort but that might actually make the dog bark more when it has to
be shut up in the house again!

Dogs should be trained to stay on their own.
--
bert