Old 13-02-2014, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Down they go

On 12/02/2014 15:51, Let It Be wrote:
Spider wrote:
On 12/02/2014 15:10, Derek Turner wrote:
On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 14:39:54 +0000, David Hill wrote:

And so far I have had a 60ft variegated leylandii snip blown down,

You say that like it's a bad thing.

It *is* a bad thing if said tree is part of your wind break!

Being fairly shallow rooted, a fully grown leylandii is not thing to have as
a wind break!

Well, if it's 60 ft high and has been up maybe 30+ years (assuming the
variegated form grows more slowly), and withstood everything the weather
could throw at it until this extraordinarily windy winter, then it
hasn't done too badly as a windbreak. The sad thing is that as large,
single specimen trees, leylandii are very attractive in an open
landscape (well, they are to me). But that does make them more
vulnerable to the wind, whereas in blocks they are much more stable.
although visually unattractive.

--

Jeff