Old 26-04-2003, 12:23 PM
Oz

Default Vegans, facts, ranting, bigotry and other related subjects....

Michael Percy writes
Oz wrote:

Michael Percy writes

My argument stands. Sahara is very big, but even then it must be
sustaining a pitifully small cattle herd.

Remember most of n.africa was the breadbasket of rome.

You are probably thinking of the semi-arid or sub-humid parts of
Algeria and Tunis, but we are talking about arid land.

No, I think you are talking about desert.

I can't think of any arid part of N.Africa being the breadbasket of Rome
except Egypt.

Well you would be wrong. Libya and Tunisia for a start.

However we are talking about land with low plant production
per acre, arid, unable to sustain a grain crop, yet with a significant
production of beef in absolute terms, due to vast area.

Most of the sahel, you mean.

That just isn't Egypt.

Of course not, egypt isn't the sahara.

--
Oz
Note: soon (maybe already) only posts via despammed.com will be accepted.