Old 13-02-2014, 10:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Here we go again

songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
Mmmm , I don't think smothering is going to work on this one .
This is ground that not too long ago was hardwood forest . The trees
were cut before we got it 11 years ago , an oval clearing roughly
75' X 200' . It currently has some wild grasses and mostly
blackberries on it .

ah, i thought it was already back to a field that was
mowed once in a while. blackberries are a different story.
i'm assuming that since you already did a part of this
that you have something to knock them back (brush hog or
some other chopper/mower)?

I tilled up part of it
last year , and the results were *VERY* encouraging . The part
closest to the trees on the uphill side weren't so much , but plants
farther out into the clearing were amazing . I'll be doubling the
size this year . And tilling the hay from the henhouse into the part
I broke last year , after it's aged a bit . I'm really excited about
this year !

i'm glad to see someone excited about gardening and
having a bigger garden.

has the hay been added already?

No , it's piled near the henhouse aging ...

i would not till the hay into the previous garden.
what does that accomplish? is there anything growing
in that soil that will be able to use those nutrients
that quickly? if not, you're effectively wasting a
long term nutrient source for no purpose.

Last year's garden will also be this year's garden , just with different
crops . Gotta figger out a rotation plan to keep the soil in shape .

if instead, you scatter a small amount on the surface
and lightly rake it in, then you can plant into that
and you'll be fine. after planting a plot mulch around
using the rest and that will be an excellent longer term
soil nutrient source. as the rains come along they'll
stimulate the worms and other soil creatures to break
down the top mulch and since the rains also stimulate
the plants to grow then they are getting the nutrients
when they can actually use them. much less work and
better for the soil community.

The new area will get the same treatment as the new got last year . Each
transplant will get a measure of manure mixed with the soil around it . Row
crops will get a line of same worked in as I form the rows . Last year's
will be partly planted in corn and pole beans , possibly that's where I'll
plant the kale , lettuces , and bok choi .

songbird

I'm really charged up about the garden . The one we had down in Memphis
was nothing compared to what I had here last year . I think it's more a
case of the soil there being poor than the soil here being extra-fertile ...
though both may apply . Either way , we'll be spending pretty close to zero
dollars this summer for fresh stuff , and my neighbors may start hiding when
they see me coming grin . I love living up here !
--
Snag