Old 14-02-2014, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael michael is offline

Default Covering compost heaps

Following the discussion below about the problems of using carpet for weed suppression,what do people use successfully to cover their compost heaps?
I use some thickish blue plastic material at the moment held down with pieces of wood -someone gave it to me on the allotments about 15yrs ago,but it is just beginning to break up with small blue pieces getting into the compost.
I also use plastic bins bags on my smaller garden compost heap,but several are needed and also need weighting down with many bricks.
Any ideas for a reasonably chemical free covering for a compost heap about 6'X4'?
Michael