Old 14-02-2014, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Covering compost heaps

On 14/02/2014 11:31, michael wrote:
Following the discussion below about the problems of using carpet for weed suppression,what do people use successfully to cover their compost heaps?

Nothing. Or any old bits that are not quite ready and rotted down from
the heap being used as compost for the garden.

I use some thickish blue plastic material at the moment held down with pieces of wood -someone gave it to me on the allotments about 15yrs ago,but it is just beginning to break up with small blue pieces getting into the compost.
I also use plastic bins bags on my smaller garden compost heap,but several are needed and also need weighting down with many bricks.
Any ideas for a reasonably chemical free covering for a compost heap about 6'X4'?
Michael

The next pile of stuff you want to put on top of it. It is not worth the
effort of covering large compost heaps - they will go hot provided you
are adding a cubic metre or so of stuff at a time so why mess about?

You do realise that all plastics are chemicals and most would be as
brittle as hell without some plasticiser in to allow it to bend.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown