Old 14-02-2014, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Covering compost heaps

On 14/02/2014 11:31, michael wrote:
Following the discussion below about the problems of using carpet for weed suppression,what do people use successfully to cover their compost heaps?
I use some thickish blue plastic material at the moment held down with pieces of wood -someone gave it to me on the allotments about 15yrs ago,but it is just beginning to break up with small blue pieces getting into the compost.
I also use plastic bins bags on my smaller garden compost heap,but several are needed and also need weighting down with many bricks.
Any ideas for a reasonably chemical free covering for a compost heap about 6'X4'?
Michael

Wouldn't it be easier to split it into two bins 3'x4' so you can have
one half being filled and the other half maturing into useable compost?
You would then only need two covers, each much smaller and more
manageable.

I have read the others' replies, which all seem to agree "nothing" is
fine. However, most of my bins (1 council bins, 3 lidded dustbins) are
covered. I have an old wooden framed twin bin which has only one half
covered, being the half that is 'cooking', to prevent RG or myself
accidentally tossing fresh green waste in. Because the bins are
covered, I give them a good wetting from time to time. My bins produce
excellent compost, so keeping them covered doesn't seem to be a problem.
It also means I can choose to turn the compost when it is dry, which
is important since my back weak these days, and lifting wet compost
would just about finish it off.

All mine bins have their own lids except for the wooden-framed half bin.
That is covered with a length (2'x4') of twin-walled polycarbonate
sheeting that was excess to requirements and is held in place with two
bricks. It's been in place at least 20yrs so has lasted well. Apart
from lifting the bricks, it is very light and easy to lift away and
replace as required. It sits on the wooden frame - not the compost - so
there is little or no chemical leaching.

Hope this helps.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London