Old 14-02-2014, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
News[_2_] News[_2_] is offline

Default Covering compost heaps

On 14/02/2014 12:54, Janet wrote:

I use roofs to prevent heavy rain cooling a hot heap or leaching a
cool one.

Janet

My heaps (one construction split into 4 x approx 1m cubed sections) have
wooden slatted backs and sides (allowing ventilation and some water
ingress). The roofs (two of them, each covering 2 sections) are forward
sloping, wooden planked hinged in the centre for quick access. They can
be left closed or open. (Or removed altogether).

(And all 4 have a removable front that slides up and down for easy
access/turning/emptying).

Seems like quite a lot of heapery at first - but I'm staggered how
quickly they fill up. (And then shrink again).

--
regards
andy