Old 15-02-2014, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Covering compost heaps

On 14/02/2014 13:19, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 03:31:09 -0800 (PST), michael
wrote:

Following the discussion below about the problems of using carpet for weed suppression,what do people use successfully to cover their compost heaps?
I use some thickish blue plastic material at the moment held down with pieces of wood -someone gave it to me on the allotments about 15yrs ago,but it is just beginning to break up with small blue pieces getting into the compost.
I also use plastic bins bags on my smaller garden compost heap,but several are needed and also need weighting down with many bricks.
Any ideas for a reasonably chemical free covering for a compost heap about 6'X4'?
Michael

My 'active' heap is open, to allow for regular additions. After 12
months or so, it's moved into an adjacent bay, to mix, re-aerate and
allow it to mature/finish rotting, and that heap gets covered with
some heavy duty black polythene sheet weighted down with a few old
pallets. Got the sheet on-line, but probably available at any GC.

I'd cover it with big bubble insulation film and then bang on a bit of
old carper. the bubble film would act as insulation and stop anything
leaking down from the carpet which would keep the light out and hold
down the film.