Old 15-02-2014, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Covering compost heaps

On 2014-02-15 13:47:56 +0000, michael said:

On Friday, 14 February 2014 11:31:09 UTC, michael wrote:
Following the discussion below about the problems of using carpet for
weed suppression,what do people use successfully to cover their compost
heaps? I use some thickish blue plastic material at the moment held
down with pieces of wood -someone gave it to me on the allotments about
15yrs ago,but it is just beginning to break up with small blue pieces
getting into the compost. I also use plastic bins bags on my smaller
garden compost heap,but several are needed and also need weighting down
with many bricks. Any ideas for a reasonably chemical free covering for
a compost heap about 6'X4'? Michael

Thanks for all of your replies-they seem to divide into the covering
group and not covering group.I prefer to cover mine to stop leaching of
any nutrients in the composting material.
Michael

I liked Anne Wareham's article in the DT today in the Gardening
section. On the subject of tidying up gardens and composting, it's
quite amusing!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com