Old 15-02-2014, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Covering compost heaps

"michael" wrote

Following the discussion below about the problems of using carpet for weed
suppression,what do people use successfully to cover their compost heaps?
I use some thickish blue plastic material at the moment held down with
pieces of wood -someone gave it to me on the allotments about 15yrs
ago,but it is just beginning to break up with small blue pieces getting
into the compost.
I also use plastic bins bags on my smaller garden compost heap,but several
are needed and also need weighting down with many bricks.
Any ideas for a reasonably chemical free covering for a compost heap about
6'X4'?

On our last allotment we had a hot compost heap which was insulated with
polystyrene sheets including on top. Worked very well. Now we have two
ordinary heaps which I only cover after one is filled and we start filling
the other, I usually use carpet or cardboard as I want some water to get in
but to retain some warmth.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.