Old 16-02-2014, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Repotting orchids

On 16/02/2014 18:24, Spider wrote:
I've spent a large part of the day splitting and repotting a huge
Cymbidium, then repotting a number of phaelenopsis. I'm keeping my
fingers crossed that the Cymbidium with settle down and grow away. I'm
not expecting flowers this year, but would like them to survive.

Because the compost I had was rather too chunky with mostly bark and
other woody chippings, I decided to improve it by adding some bulb
compost. Not too much, of course! I didn't want to use multipurpose
compost as there's usually too much feed in it. It seemed to me that
bulb compost was generally well-drained, little or no nutrient, plus
some charcoal to keep it 'sweet'. So, for better or worse, I put the
well-drained chunky stuff in the base for drainage, then mixed both
composts to suit each orchid. I shall keep a close eye on them in case
it is too moist, but I am hopeful.

What do others use when tinkering with orchid mixes?

In the past you would see some sphagnum moss in cymbidium compost