Old 19-02-2014, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default OT A Question

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message ...

"Bob Hobden" wrote..

Thinking of using this for a Quiz Night but not sure how many will know
it....

What is Plugstreet famous for?

Don't cheat by looking it up, just say yes or no if you knew the answer,
I'll post the answer tomorrow.

Firstly, thank you all for participating, in view of the response I think,
as I suspected, it too hard a question so won't use it.

The answer is Plugstreet is the place where the famous football match
between the German and British trenches took place on Christmas day 1914.

The real name of the town is Ploegsteert and it's in Belgium but the Tommys
called it Plugstreet and the name stuck.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

A few years back I had a part in the play "Oh What a Lovely War" and if
anybody has seen the stage play of that with the commentary and the back
projections, they will know just how stupid and wasteful war is. Any war,
but that one, if you listen and understand and 'picture' what is being said
and done, even more so. Even those who had nothing to say, I only had a few
lines in it, came off stage at the end 'drained'.

One night we had some of the 'Old Contemptible' widows in and sat them in
the front rows. Anybody who has been on stage will know that the lighting is
such that you cannot see the audience, maybe not, but we saw the white of
the handkerchiefs come out.

Coincidence this should come up because I have just got back from the
Theatre taking some shots to go on The Theatre's Trust web site to show the
improvements done since the last set were put up

http://www.theatrestrust.org.uk/reso...theatre/images

before we rescued it. And to show that it is live theatre, I was asked to
take a photo of the present set, an Agatha Christie play "The Hollow".

Mike

www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk
www.hmscollingwoodassociation.com
www.rneba.org.uk