Old 20-02-2014, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sacha sacha is offline

Default Bumblebees

On 2014-02-20 12:42:13 +0000, Chris Hogg said:

On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 11:52:20 +0000, sacha wrote:

Last year somebody wrote that the bumblebee seems a harder worker than
the honeybee. I think I have to agree! Yesterday, I saw a gigantic
bumblbee working over some Lonicera purpusii by our front door and a
couple more were diligently crawling over Acacia atropurpureum in a
greenhouse. The slightest ray of sunshine and lift in temperature
seems to bring them out. It's also a welcome sign of hopefulness and
raises the spirits!

Agreed, but a report on the BBC suggests they're under threat from two
diseases normally associated with honey bees, Nosema and Deformed Wing
Virus (DWV). But Nosema has been around in honey bees for centuries,
so I don't see why it should suddenly be infecting bumbles. Maybe no
one has looked in detail before, which seems unlikely. Never heard of
DWV though.

More at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-26242960

I've never heard of it either but the poor things seem to be
permanently under threat from something. Not least are pesticides
sprayed on field and garden.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com