Old 26-04-2003, 12:23 PM
Oz

Default Stop the extinction... 402

Peter Hearnden writes
"Oz" wrote in message
Peter Hearnden writes

Percentages don't say a lot. How has total production changed? Is the US
cutting less wood? (especially, will it in the future given YKW in the

white
house?)

That's not really very important.

What's probably more important is whether as much is growing as is being
cut down. Wood is at least sustainable.

Fair enough. The answer is?

No idea, you can look up the statistics yourself.

What I do know is that in the UK the value of standing timber is
approximately zero, and that produced for it's management (thinnings)
has negative value (you pay to produce it), for woods of about 10ac or
so. Even quality trees often end up as firewood due to the cost of
haulage and low value of timber.

Given the fact that in the UK any tree more than a modest diameter is
effectively protected forever I rather doubt that much in the way of new
planting will be done outside government lands and in settlements.

--
Oz
Note: soon (maybe already) only posts via despammed.com will be accepted.