Old 21-02-2014, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Fuschia[_4_] Fuschia[_4_] is offline

Default First mow of the year?

In article ,
says...
From: Spider
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening

On 20/02/2014 14:28, Janet wrote:

In message , Spider
writes
On 19/02/2014 13:02, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
The sun is shining, the birds are singing, the grass is growing.

Has the time come for the first cut?

I doubt the ground will be truly dry until the grass reaches waist height.

Cheers

Dave R

Before I do my first cut, I shall aerate the lawn first, to help it
drain more freely. Why not see if you can walk on yours and try
aerating it before mowing?

Haven't you followed weather reports?

Of course I have.

In the many areas where months of heavy rain have either raised local
water tables or saturated subsoil and topsoil, aerating the lawn will
make not a blind bit of difference. Just as pulling out the bathplug
won't solve a blocked drain.

Janet.

I was replying to David, who had sunny weather and a growing lawn.

He lives in Suffolk, which has been heavily flooded. Sunny weather at
this time of year has minimum evaporation effect so won't reduce the
water held in saturated soil. Nor will "aerating the lawn".

Even though you know more than anyone else on this NG, I'm still
surprised that you know better that the OP just how wet his lawn is.

gratuitous rudeness snipped